[UPDATED] Best Tech Gifts 2016 – One Gift Guide For Techies
Latest posts by Kok Kee (see all)
- Highly-Customizable MasterMouse Pro L RGB Now Available; Priced at RM249 - March 27, 2017
- ASUS ZenFone 3 Zoom Announced; Priced at RM2,099 - March 27, 2017
- Review – AOC AGON AG322FCX Gaming Monitor: It’s HUGE! - March 24, 2017
Last year, we did a really big best tech gift guide. This year we’ll be doing a new one for you – the Best Tech Gifts 2016. This gift guide will get you through this year’s brand new recommended tech, and it’ll mostly be what that caught my eyes through the year of 2016 until now.
We’ll be ranging from laptops to smartphones, peripherals, and many other accessories. I’m very sure that you’ll find something for everyone here. Of course, it’s all categorized – so it’ll be easy to navigate. Also, we’ll highlight the recommended suggestions in bold so it’ll be much more easier to navigate.
Without further ado, let’s start!
I’m never gonna include those high-end phones, as they’re all pretty much overpriced phones yet they’re all the same. The most expensive phones we’re gonna include here is the budget high-end phones. For this year’s Best Tech Gifts 2016, things have shifted quite a lot. High-end devices don’t really have much more performance difference than the mid-ranged ones. Also, the battery life on mid-range smartphones somehow have greater battery life too.
For <RM 1,300
This category is simple – there is no need for the highest end of specs, but performs decently and has all of the basic things done. Suitable as a gift for parents and grandparents who don’t need the fastest and best smartphones out there.
- LEAGOO T1 Plus @RM699
- Honor 5C @RM698. Click here to read our full review! (Recommended)
- ASUS ZenFone 3 Max @ RM666. Click here to read our full review! (Recommended)
- Flash Plus [email protected]/RM605 (the price written on the banner is wrong by the way) (Recommended)
- Honor 7 @ RM 1,049; Honor 7 Enhanced @ RM 1,115. Click here to read our full review!
For <RM 1,700
Mid-tier priced devices fall into this category. Fits those who wants more than just the basics. By today’s standards with this generation’s hardware, the performance is actually very sufficient. I’m personally rocking both the Honor 8 and the ASUS ZenFone 3. I’m was (and still am) torn between these two devices. Be sure to check out each of this device’s individual reviews to know more!
- Honor 8 @RM 1,699 (lots of free gifts!). Click here to read our full review! (Recommended)
- ASUS ZenFone 3 @ RM 1,159 for 5.2-inch version; @ RM 1,425 for 5.5-inch version! Click here to read our full review! (Recommended)
For >RM 1,700
Woah, big budget you have here! Nonetheless, which is where all the best smartphones out there have fall into. They offer the highest end specs within a very reasonable and reachable prices. That being said, the OnePlus One is the main pioneer of this category, so I really have to pay respect to it.
- OnePlus 3 @ RM 1,749. Or get it from DirectD. Or wait for the OnePlus 3T. (Recommended)
- Huawei P9 @ RM 2,090
This time around, there are a lot of focus given to ultrabooks. Not the true ultrabooks by Intel’s standard, but they’re still quite thin. Surely we’ll still take a look at student-centric laptops too. For this Best Tech Gifts 2016, I think we should highlight the fact that the due to the intensely fluctuating currency, prices increased quite a lot. compared to last year’s specs. While that might be true, laptops have gotten pretty slim and light this year around.
Also, make sure you get an upgrade to at least 8GB RAM. No excuses – and that should be the norm of today.
Let’s take a look at some of them in this year’s Best Tech Gifts 2016.
For <RM 2,000
Personally wouldn’t recommend this tier of laptops, so take this category as your final resort. Seriously, get a better laptop than these.
- HP 14-AM031TU/033TU – 14-inch 768p LED; Intel i3-5005U; 4GB DDR3L RAM; Intel HD Graphics; 500GB HDD @ RM 1,399
- HP 15-AC197TX – 15.6-inch 768p LED; Intel i3-5005U; 4GB DDR3L RAM; AMD Radeon R5 M430 2GB VRAM Graphics; 1TB HDD @ RM 1,526
- Lenovo Ideapad 100-15IDB 80QQ0018MJ – 15.6-inch 768p TN; Intel i3-5005U; 4GB DDR3L RAM; Intel HD Graphics; 500GB HDD @ RM 1,259
- Lenovo Ideapad 100-14IDB 80RK0031MJ – 14-inch 768p LED; Intel i3-5200; 4GB DDR3L RAM; NVIDIA GeForce 920A graphics; 128GB SSD @ RM 1,422.90
- ASUS X540L-JXX640T – 15.6-inch 768p LED; Intel i3-5005U; 4GB DDR3L; NVIDIA GeForce GT920M 2GB VRAM; 500GB HDD @ RM 1,599 (Recommended)
- ASUS X455L-JWX360T/361T/362T – 14-inch 768p LED; Intel i3-5005U; 4GB DDR3L RAM; NVIDIA GeForce GT920M graphics; 500GB HDD @ RM 1,470. Available in black, red, and blue. (Recommended)
For ~RM 2,000 – RM 2,500
The recommended budget range for students and general users who wants a balance between performance and price, in my opinion. There are some great laptop deals here for their hardware, but definitely not the lightest to carry around. These are the most famous range of laptops in the market, and it’ll definitely be the most crucial for this Best Tech Gifts 2016. Check them out.
- HP Pavilion 15-AU502TX – 15.6-inch 1080p LED, Intel i5-6200U; 4GB DDR3L RAM; NVIDIA GT940MX 2GB VRAM Graphics; 1TB HDD @ RM 2,376.15 (Recommended)
- Lenovo 500-14IDB 80N400LAMJ – 14-inch 768p LED; Intel i3-5020U; 4GB DDR3L RAM; NVIDIA GeForce 920A graphics; 500GB HDD @ RM 2,029 at Jayacom only
- ASUS K401U-BFR011T – 14-inch 1080p LED; Intel i5-6200; 4GB DDR3 RAM; NVIDIA GeForce GT940M graphics; 1TB HDD @ RM 2,469 (Recommended)
- ASUS UX360CA – 13-inch 1080p IPS; Intel Core-M; 4GB DDR3 RAM; Intel HD Graphics; 128GB SSD @ From RM2,505 onwards. They have way too many variants. Click here to read our full review!
- Acer V Nitro VN7-572G57N0 – 15.6-inch 1080 IPS ; 4GB DDR4 RAM; NVIDIA GeForce GTX950 4GB VRAMl 1TB SSD @ RM 2,999
Other types of devices
Here is the place where you’ll find ultrabooks, ultraslim or ultraportable laptops. Whatever you want to call them. There are some of these ultrabook-esque devices which doesn’t quite fit in Intel’s guidelines of what an ultrabook should be, and they’re included here just because of its price. Few milimeters don’t bother me, but the price does. Here are some top picks for the Best Tech Gifts 2016.
- HP ENVY 13-D044TU – 13.3-inch 1080p LED; Intel i5-6200U; 4GB DDR3L RAM; Intel HD 520; 128GB M.2 SSD @ RM 2,789 (Recommended)
- Lenovo Yoga 900-13ISK 80MK006RMJ – 13.3-inch QHD IPS LED; 4GB LPDDR3L RAM; Intel HD Graphics; 256GB SSD @ RM 4,288. Available in silver and gold by the way. Click here to read our full review!
- ASUS VivoBook Flip – 13-inch 768p LED; 4GB DDR3 RAM; Intel HD Graphics; 1TB HDD @ From RM 2,029. Another one with a few variants. Click here to read our full review!
- Acer Switch Alpha 12 – 12-inch QHD IPS; Intel i3-6100U; 4GB DDR3L RAM; Intel HD Graphics; 128GB SSD @ from RM 2,396. There are other variants with higher specs. (Recommended)
- Acer Spin 5 – 13.3-inch Touch screen 1080p IPS; Intel i3-6100U; 4GB DDR4 RAM; Intel HD Graphics; 128GB SSD @ RM 2089 (Recommended)
- ASUS UX330U – 13-inch 1080p IPS; Intel i5-7200; 8GB DDR3 RAM; Intel HD Graphics; 256GB SSD @ RM 3,855. Be careful of which version you’re getting. There’s one that’s more expensive, and it uses the older generation of processor instead of the latest Intel Kaby Lake architecture.
- HP Spectre x360 13-4136TU – 13.3-inch 1080p IPS touch screen; Intel i5-5600U; 8GB DDR3 RAM; Intel HD Graphics; 128GB SSD @ RM 4,099. Comes with quite a lot of free gifts too! Highly recommended!
I really wonder – how much can you rely on cloud storage with jumpy internet? I mean, the Malaysian internet isn’t particularly fast or cheap, let alone both. Here are some of the more reliable old-school storage media tech that I think is still very useful in today’s society. These are the highlights for Best Tech Gifts 2016.
- SanDisk Ultra Dual Drive m3.0 @ From RM19. Prices go up depending on the capacity you want. Also comes with a micro USB OTG port on that tiny device. (Recommended)
- Brand new redesigned Western Digital My Passport @ from RM209. Prices go up depending on the capacity you want. Too beautiful to not get it. (Recommended)
- Military-graded Transcend 25H3 @ from RM244. Prices go up depending on the capacity you want. Though protective, its colours and design is the definition of going pure function in the battle of function vs form. (Recommended)
For music lovers
With the rise of wireless audio and ever-dropping prices of Bluetooth speakers, here are some that I personally like. They’re good stuff. For the Best Tech Gifts 2016, we’ve diversified a little into other forms of home speakers too.
Also, we’re not focusing on wireless earphones just as of yet. For me personally, I’ll stay out of them for now as they’re still too new. Wait for another year let it mature first before diving in. In the Best Tech Gifts 2016, we focus mostly on wireless Bluetooth speakers more.
- Harman Kardon Aura Plus @ RM 1,599. Yes, the price is quite insane – but for a modern home speaker, I think the Aura Plus really great.I’m do have one at home, and I love streaming Spotify Premium on the speaker through WiFi. Do becareful as there’s a Bluetooth-only version that costs more or less the same. (Recommended)
- SonicGear Pandora Neo series of Bluetooth speakers @ From RM109. Prices vary between the form factor and design that you want. Personally, I like the loop handle to carry it around. Click here to read our full review of the Pandora Neo Classic!
- Logitech X100 Bluetooth Speakers @ RM89. Simple, minimalist, and and colourful. It sounds good, but just too bad it isn’t waterproof like the UE series of speakers.
- Beyerdynamic CUSTOM STREET @ RM699 at Jaben. Unique aesthetics, really great sound quality. Also customizable in terms of looks and feautres too – hence the name CUSTOM. Click here to read our full review! (Recommended)
- Armaggeddon Molotov-5 headphones @ RM99. While some of the colour scheme doesn’t look as appealing as others (grey/blue vs. black/yellow), the sound quality isn’t that bad for its price. Click here to read our full review! (Recommended)
- Logitech Bluetooth audio adapter. @ RM79 This little device is pretty much essential for all aux speaker users. It converts your 3.5mm audio jack or an RCA speaker into a Bluetooth speaker. I think spending RM79 to get this instead of an entirely new set of speakers is fair. Click here to read our full review! (Recommended)
All I can say is – this is the year of RGB peripherals. There’s even an RGB mousepad, FFS. Anyway, here’s a list of a few peripherals for oyur computer that I really commend, so please check out these items before considering getting any sub-par keyboards. In the Best Tech Gifts 2016, we go through the best of the best peripherals money-can-buy and effort-can-mod peripherals in the market today.
- Ducky One keyboard @ From RM 309. Price varies greatly depending on which size, backlight, and what switch you’re getting. I’m rocking a Ducky One TKL non-backlit version, and I’ve modded it to have an orange backlight. Click here to read on the guide on how the mod was done. (Recommended)
Click here for the review of all Ducky One keyboards!
- Armaggeddon SRO-5 HAVOC III mouse @ RM99.90. One of the best mouse I’ve for this year solely because of its ergonomic deisgn a la the ROG Gladius and Razer Deathadder. Also, they’re having a bundle promotion with many other free gifts for RM99.90! Click here to read our full review! (Recommended)
- GameSir G4s @ RM341. While it doesn’t have the most appealing look, it feels fantastic and functions greatly. The seller is NOT local, so be aware of the shipping time. Click here to read our full review! (Recommended)
We’ve reviewed waaaaaay too many products this year, and this is a condensed version of what we like in the Best Tech Gifts 2016. Some upgrades I’ve done over the course of this year is my keyboard and gamepad. Again, I’m now rocking a custom modded Ducky One TKL – now signed by Team Secret too – and a GameSir G4s. My home’s living room speaker was also upgraded to the Harman Kardon Aura Plus, and it pairs perfectly well with Spotify Premium Family plan. For audio, I’m using a Beyerdynamic CUSTOM STREET as I like the size, comfort, and most importantly the sound quality for both music and gaming.
25th November is Black Friday and the following Monday is Cyber Monday. The reason why I link everything back to Lazada whenever I can is because of their massive sales happening now. Check out their Online Revolution sales that’s happening from now until the 12th December 2016!
And yes, remember to combine Lazada vouchers whenever you’re shopping with Lazada – you can get impossibly low prices this #LZDMYRevolution!
This concludes our Best Tech Gifts 2016 – for now. We’ll still be updating it till the end of the year! Stay tuned!
Also, leave us a comment below and tell us – which of these gifts did you get? We would like to know your feedback!