- Page 1: Introduction
- Page 2: Design
- Page 3: Connectivity & Ports
- Page 4: Display
- Page 5: Cameras
- Page 6: Software - Android 9.0 Pie with MIUI 10.0
- Page 7: Performance & Gaming
- Page 8: Battery & charging
- Page 9: Wrapping up the Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 review
Performance & Gaming
The Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 comes with – at its time – the greatest hardware that the market has to offer. Here are the list of specs that it has:
- 6.39-inch Super AMOLED display with 2340×1080 pixels in resolution
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 845
- 4x Kryo 385 @ 2.8GHz + 4x Kryo 385 Silver @ 1.7GHz
- Adreno 630 GPU @ 710MHz with 256 ALUs
- 6GB LPDDR4X RAM
- 128GB UFS 2.1 storage
- 3,200mAh battery
- Android 9.0 Pie with MIUI 10.0
Further further ado, here are the benchmarks.
The overall benchmark scores of the Xiaomi Mi Mix 3, is similar to other smartphones that are equipped with Snapdragon 845 chipset – however, there are a little bit of an issue in the next section.
Yes – gaming. Yes, the Mi Mix 3 can run all the latest games. However, the Mi Mix 3 gets hot really fast. And it is hotter than other smartphones with Snapdragon 845 too.
That is understandable because the phone is literally spliced into two parts, and heat can only dissipate through the ceramic back – which is covered by the hard shell case. The little gap of air on the sliding mechanism is not helping either since air is a terrible heat conductor.
Now, from the Mi Mix 3 teardown video, we saw that Xiaomi applied a huge amount of thermal paste on the phone itself – and that is to disperse the heat from the SoC to a larger area as fast as possible. I appreciate Xiaomi for doing that, but it proves to be still insufficient.
While the Mi Mix 3 does get hotter than other phones, it still manages to run games smoothly – but the battery life takes a hit.