It’s always the same type of question that we get over at our Facebook page, and one of the most famous question that we get over at our comment section too actually, and it’s always what the best (insert gadget category here) to buy now?
The last one that we prepared was what laptop to buy pre-GST, but it’s been at least 7 months since then. Here we will not waste any time, and show you guys the best laptop to buy NOW. I mean now as in November 2015. If you’re keen on choosing something else, then check out our guide on how to choose a laptop for yourself!
- Screen resolution
- RAM capacity
- Storage capacity
- CD/DVD drive (if you still use them)
- Gamers beware of VRAM on the GPU if you use external monitors
- Number of USB ports
- All prices here are below RM4k
Make sure you know what you need!!
It might be a little biased but here are some priorities I have at this current point of time. These are quite crucial for the best laptop to buy now.
- If I’m paying >RM2.5k, I expect a nice 1080p resolution and no TN panels too – they’re just way too ugly!
- Light users need a minimum 4GB RAM, and heavier users need 8GB (and make sure you get 8GB!!!)
- CD/DVD drive is better excluded from the laptop itself. Get an external one if you really need it
- Skylake is still too new, and DDR4 SO-DIMMs are still expensive as heck
- I will only list out one colour of the laptop, there might be some other colours
What you need to know
We’ll categorize users into a total of 3 different types, from light users to heavy users, then to the high-end systems. These are always chosen with different tiers of hardware, but as said, some of the other components aren’t listed on the spec sheet and therefore cannot be compared.
However, we’ll try our best to find the cheapest price for the best suited laptop for said category!
We’ll also bold those which are recommended to really get the point across – so you won’t miss it out! This time around, all of them will be linked towards Lazada, just for the sake of simplicity of buying the laptop online and don’t need to go all the way out to Lowyat, find an intense parking, sandwich yourself inside, haggle with the dealer, then pay a super expensive parking, then jam all the way home. However, you might find cheaper prices elsewhere, so please do not take these prices as is.
To those who just wanna do the simplest or the most basic of things – those who seek to show a couple of lgiht webpages to clients while doing light typing or maybe giving it to your parents as a present. Light video-watching and a little bit of Facebook and chatting – these are great! Don’t expect top-notch screen quality and speakers though, these are made with many low-cost components.
Personally, I’ll still recommend the ASUS X205ta just for simplicity’s sake – not on my side, but how minimalist and no-bullshit that device is. Simple, portable, and low priced too. Sadly I can’t find it on Lazada. Here are some alternatives though.
- Lenovo IdeaPad 100-15IBD 80QQ0018MJ (15.6-inch; 768p; Intel i3-5005U; RM1,479)
- HP 14-AC053TU (14-inch; 768p; Intel i3-4005U; RM1,475)
For those who wants to have some non-maxed out AAA title gaming (highest settings on Assassin’s Creed Syndicate for example), then this is the category for you!
Price range might be a little haywire at this point, as there are a lot more other hardware specs to consider. Just make sure you upgrade to 8GB of RAM though!
- HP 15-AB063TX (15-inch; 768p; Intel i5; GT940M; RM1,998)
- ASUS A555LB-XX411T (15.6-inch; 768p; Intel i7-5500U; GT940M; RM2,848)
- ASUS K401LB-FA003H (14-inch; 1080p; Intel i5-5200U; GT940M; RM2,499)
- ASUS K501LX-DM006H (15.6-inch; 1080p; Intel i5-5200U; GT950M; RM2,788)
For those gamers and the ones who tortures their laptops just about everyday – pushing it to the limits while bringing it on the go. A speed demon is what people would refer them as, and I’m guilty of being one of them.
Another important note, make sure you get 8GB of RAM (minimum)!!!
These are the machines for those who seek performance, while totally not giving a dang about the size much. Of course, still keeping the price tag rather low.
- ASUS G551JW-DM017H (15.6-inch; 1080p; Intel i7-4729HQ; GTX960M; RM3,999)
- MSI PE60-2QE-473MY (15.6-inch; 1080p; Intel i7-5700HQ; NVIDIA GTX960M; RM4,099)
- MSI PE70-2QE-400MY (17.3-inch; 1080p; Intel i7-5700HQ; NVIDIA GTX960M; RM4,199)
Here are some quick points about this post and Lazada, discovered while doing this entire buying guide.
- Lazada quick and easy; able to shop online instantly
- They’re not always the cheapest
- Many laptop models are not on Lazada
- Most laptops listed on Lazada only has 2GB or 4GB RAM. Make sure you get your upgrade!
- These are the best laptop to buy now as of November 2015, but I might miss some out
Have a question or doubt?
Yeah yeah, these choices are subject to personal preference and I’m glad you think otherwise – so we can share our differences! Or I can answer your questions – I’m fine with both. Do message us on Facebook or just contact Kok Kee here!